Saturday, September 17, 2005

Sat AM, Arse kicking great run

Run type: Steady aerobic + hill workout
Distance: 19.8 km
Average pace: 4:52 min/km
Weekly cumulative: 78.9

One of the most enjoyble runs in a long time. The legs actually felt a bit stiff when I first started, but there is nothing new in that and I was soon moving smoothly. The temperature was a very comfortable 22 degrees, humidity mild, and the morning fresh and calm.

So I headed up Meguro River towards the Aobadai hill workout circuit. But I was thinking that with the temperature so nice it would be good to get in a few more km. So I kept going to that covered over path section after the river crosses Route 246 at Ohashi. I'd only ever been up there a few km to a busy road, where I thought the path ended. But Brett had told me that it actually continues on the other side of the road. So I explored this section fully and picked up the path again to run a couple more km. At 40 minutes, soon after Sakuragaoka Station on the Odakyu line, I decided to turn back so that I'd have some juice left to do hill repeats. There is still more path left for exploring another day.

Back at Aobadai I had a strong tummy pain, so had to stop by the park beside the circuit and let off some ballast. With that done, it was into the hill repeats. I wondered how this would go on more tired legs than I normally have at this stage. Surprisingly the uphill pulls were the same as ever, 84 seconds for the first and second, then a second or two quicker for the next three. I decided to quit at five because of the extra distance I'd run.

Cruised home feeling comfortable at a heart rate of 135 to 140. With almost 20 km for the run, I did get a bit tired in the legs, but never that total bodily exhaustion you feel when the temperature is up over 27 degrees. It augers well for the long run tomorrow.

No comments: