Tuesday, November 13, 2007

'sokay

I bought some mega-bandaid type thing on Sunday afternoon. It has a sheet of soft stuff you cut out to shape to form a pad and sheets of band aid type stuff to cut out and go over the pad.

The blister settled down a lot yesterday. All the water seemed to get reabsorbed back into my body or something and it was not hurting to walk around.

I thought it was worth a try with the paddy bandaid thing this morning and sure enough, got through 11.5 km at an easy 4:45 type of pace this morning. Not even a flicker of pain and the pad was barely noticeable. So the dramatics of the last post were probably not justified. I appreciate the concern though. One day I might even work out what "rest your dogs" means. Would they be huskies, these dogs? Pete is from Maine, so I guess that kind of expression might creep into the lexicon around those parts.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Do they make a body-suit maga-bandaid type things? I think you need one of those.

Could be the US equivalent to "kick back and suck down a slab or two". Or is it a backhanded way of saying you run like a dog?

Samurai Running said...

"Rest your dogs"

I learn't about this expression when I did my Masters in Linguistics. It is the literal translation of a French phonetic phrase that saw a resurgence in the 1800s in Wales. However it no longer is in current usage, least not in countries were incest is no longer the favored form of courtship. If it were given a modern equivalent it would be something like:

"Take you hand off it!"

Pete said...

In many sections of Maine incest is still the preferred form of courtship. That said, however, "dogs" in this context just refers to your feet. And your dogs are greyhounds!

Pete

Tesso said...

Hey, I like the dramatics!

Clairie said...

Great to hear the blisters are behaving themselves. The day off probably did you the world of good.
Mentally it would have made you tougher too enabling you to put in a good effort in the days following the rest day.

Blisters on me are very painful but thankfully they disappear as quick as they come so I rarely have to have more than a day off when they are bad. Usually on from wet trail runs anyhow....hope I don't get any when I start running again..that would be the pits heh!

Keep up the good work.

Ewen said...

Ha! You had me going there Scott. Well, not actually going there. So this would mean that certain Asian-speaking chaps with quantity-challenged ex-girlfriends need to keep half a hand off it?