Saturday, April 08, 2006

75%

Distance: 11 km
Average heart rate: 74%
Pace at 75%: 4:40

I helped Satohi draw up the rest of her marathon training program. It includes quite a few runs at 75% of heart rate max. Basically, that's the stock standard aerobic run. It doesn't stress the body too much, but still has you working at a pretty decent effort to recruit muscle fibers and more mitochondria (i.e., build aerobic endurance). Yesterday I needed a run of moderate intensity to continue the recovery from Ome. I thought it would be good also to remind myself what this run feels like so that I could be confident that it is the right run for her when not doing more intense efforts, recovery runs, or resting. I ran for 1 km at about 68% to 73% then just picked it up slightly and ran the next 9 km at 74% to 76% and then a little 1k jog at the end to cool down. Pulled up feeling pretty good, yet the effort during the run was certainly enough to feel like it was worthwhile. It is not a bludge run. The pace was around 4:40/km. Conclusion: Yep, it is indeed a good stock standard medium distance aerobic endurance-building run. Leaves you feeling good. I think it was right to prescribe a lot of these.

No comments: